Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Recipe Recap

Remember how I was trying 3 new Pinterest recipes last week?  I am happy to report that I followed through!  You already heard my reflections on the Mexican Chicken Casserole.  Here is my review of the other two:



I would say...eh.  It's okay.  In all fairness, I did mess up the recipe a little.  The directions say to cook it on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1.5-2.5 hours.  In the daze of my sinus infection last week, I cooked it on high for 4 hours.  Whoops.  Let's just say that the chicken was VERY browned.  Luckily, thanks to cooking it in the crock pot, it was not charred and was still edible. 

I just didn't really like it.  However, I am not really a sweet sauce person.  Ryan liked it (while admitting it would be better if a little less....cooked) and thought we should try it again.  I served the leftovers to my mom, aunt, and cousin on Thursday, and they all liked it too.  (Aren't I so nice?  Serving leftovers to house guests?) 

Grade: B- 


Yum!  (With some additions.)  This is what I love about blogging.  I posted that I was going to make this, and Ryan's sweet Aunt Sheila in Houston sent me a note to tell me that she'd had friends who had tried the recipe and that they recommended the following:
  • Use the entire zucchini, more bell pepper and Pete's Hot Sauce
  • Add 2 zucchini, 1 red and 1 green bell pepper, "fiesta" corn, green chilies, half an onion diced, lime and cilantro. She also added that next time she would add another can of black beans to give more protein.
I was all geared up to add more black beans, another pepper, green chilis, and lime--- but I TOTALLY forgot to stop at the store during my daze drive home.  So, I had to use what I had on hand.  I added 2 extra zucchini, the entire green pepper, and a whole onion.  I also spilled my entire thing of instant rice on the floor (it was a great night), so I had to use the Trader Joe's seasoned rice I had on hand. 

The result was pretty delicious.  (Sorry-- I forgot to snap a picture!)  And, I absolutely LOVED how easy this meal was to throw together.  I think it took me all of 15-20 minutes.  (Note: My veggies were chopped on Sunday when I prepped for the week.) 

The flavor of this recipe was definitely more Italian savory, and I think I was expecting more of a Mexican skillet.  So for next time, I plan to add more black beans, substitute the fire-roasted tomatoes for diced tomatoes with green chilis, and add cilantro and lime.  (Ryan really liked it -- but he suggested that adding some sort of meat-- pork, sausage, bacon, shredded chicken -- would make it extra delish.)

Grade: A+ (with the changes)



2 comments:

  1. I made the Zucchini, Rice & Black Bean skillet last night! It was yummy...and of course I added more veggies and shredded some chicken for Frank. It was a winner in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara -- How funny that we are trying the same recipes?? ...and that we both saw the need for modification! I think I would top it with some avocado too.

      Delete