Thursday, February 4, 2010

Friday Recipe: Super Bowl Edition

My husband and I both love to cook and are constantly trying out new recipes. As a new addition to the blog, I am going to post recipes every Friday. Let me know what you think!

Super Bowl Sunday is upon us. While I am a Southern girl and love football, my love is college football. The only time I really love professional football is when:

a) it wins us money in my husband's fantasy football league or
b) it is Super Bowl Sunday and I get to try out new recipes

That being said, I made these bacon-wrapped stuffed dates for last year's Super Bowl Party and they were a hit. The guys loved them for the taste and the girls loved having something different than your regular ol' dip. They are super easy and can be prepared a day in advance. Don't let the appearance scare you-- they are delicious!

BACON WRAPPED STUFFED DATES

Parmesan cheese, sliced about 1 inch by ¼ inch

1 container large pitted dates

1 pack of sliced apple-cured bacon, each cut into thirds

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Insert a piece of Parmesan into each slit. Wrap a piece of bacon around each stuffed date and secure with a toothpick. Place the dates on a baking sheet.

View full recipe

Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the bacon on top is crisp. Using tongs, turn the dates and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Transfer the dates to a double layer of paper towels to drain.

Serve immediately.

Note: You can also substitute other types of cheese or almonds for the Parmesan. Get creative!

[Recipe and Photo: Seriously Simple Holidays by Diane Rossen]

No comments:

Post a Comment